Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Whimsy for Work

I had fun the last few times I made it to the studio embellishing a curtain for an odd window in my new office space that looks out into the main room. There are no windows to the outside world in the room so I thought it would be fun to add some color at the window. It has blinds on it, but basic blinds aren't exactly exciting.

I decided to use my "formula one" swirly shapes. According to Maxine Farkas, who used to work with Mom and I at Friends Fabric Art, an artist's formula one is like their default shape or image. It's an image that keeps re-occurring in your art. I tried googling formula one, but I can't find any specific art-related references easily. 

Curtain planning stage
 I also wanted to have fun with some scrap silk that Carter Smith dyed. He used to sell bags of his dyed silk fabric scraps. I don't know if he still does it. I've had some for a while now, but they are hard for me to use in artwork because they are so distinctively Carter Smith fabrics. Since I was making something for myself, I thought it would be a good use for them because I could enjoy his fabulous color combinations and shibori dyed patterns myself while sitting at the desk.
Detail of curtain in front of the planning drawing
I hung the curtain today. Who would guess it's a data analysis work space?

I tried to put the most design elements in areas that would be at my eye level when I sit at the desk. I also didn't want to get too carried away with the design so that I'd never finish it.
Finished curtain
 It's simple, but more fun that having only the boring blinds.

No comments: