Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What would you take with you?

As Hurricane Sandy approached shore, I began to wonder about what I would take with me if I had to evacuate. There was information on the Mass.gov website about having a Family Emergency Evacuation Kit, but it wasn’t obvious from the particular article what that was supposed to be. I figured it meant stuff like toiletries and a change of clothes, but if I was assuming that I would lose everything like people do in these kinds of situations, what would I take? What would you take if you had time to think about it?

I didn’t go so far as to make a kit and pack stuff to go since I wasn’t in an evacuation zone - mandatory or recommended. I did make myself a mental list and moved a few things into a just in case pile. The pile didn’t have the necessities in the traditional sense, it had a sketchbook, watercolor pencils, and my reminders on practicing mindfulness packet from taking the “Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction” course. I sort of also figured if I had time I’d grab the Kindle eReader and the three small art quilts that I’ve been stitching on with related supplies. 

Glacier Bay, AK
Boston Public Garden Tree


Digital Image & Els Van Barle Art Fabric
I think my general logic was that if I lost everything, what things would help me maintain some semblance of sanity. It came down to something to read (the Kindle), something to remind me to breathe (the mindfulness packet), and supplies to create something that included color and beauty (sketchbook and art quilt/stitching supplies). What do you need to maintain your sanity? Maybe our own sanity is something we forget to take care of too often.

I'll leave you with the loving kindness meditation on one of the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course worksheets that seems appropriate in the wake of Hurricane Sandy:

"May I be safe and protected from all inner and outer harm
May I be peaceful and happy
May I be as healthy and as strong as is possible for me
May I care for myself with joy and ease."

1 comment:

Esme Kaye said...

That's an interesting quandary. I think if I had to evacuate without warning I would just grab my dog and run. If I had 10 minutes or so I'd grab the kids' baby books, photo albums, and my computer. If I had more than an hour I'd just start grabbing random things and stuffing them in my car. It's too overwhelming to think about, isn't it?