Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Leslie Riley's Transfer Artist Paper (TAP)

With all the rave reviews of Leslie Riley's Transfer Artist Paper (TAP), I have to say I expected more. I thought it must be almost flawless, but it’s not. I probably had unrealistic expectations anyway. It is quite likely the best of the lot of transfer papers out there, but it’s still got regular transfer paper issues. It’s fussy. You have to pay close attention to the directions and even then the directions that come with the product seem incomplete. The washing instructions are not as comprehensive as what is on Leslie Riley’s website so the first go round of running the images printed on fabric through the wash did not go so well. If you want to try it for clothes or fabric you want to wash, be sure to check out additional product instructions and tips on Leslie Riley’s website:  http://www.lesleyriley.com/


Unlike other transfer products I’ve tried TAP seems to require more ironing. Transfer products I’ve used in the past can be over-ironed, but with TAP the risk seems to be under-ironing. You may want to use a timer to make sure you’ve been ironing the TAP the suggested amount. It does transfer a beautiful, clear image to fabric, but if the TAP is not ironed enough, the image isn’t that durable. If you are sensitive to smells, TAP does have a slight smell when you iron it. You may want to open a window if it doesn’t happen to be freezing outside.

I did have fun drawing on my photo of an English gothic vault with markers before transferring the image to fabric. I don’t remember where I took the photo. It may have been the Tower of London.


You definitely don’t want to try any metallic paints for painting on the TAP. That didn’t seem to work so great. The metallic doesn’t show through anyway once you transfer it. Of course, I have to try to push the limits of materials like that and not just follow what is suggested on the packaging.
I also tried to transfer photos to glass without success, but then I didn’t find an ordinary flat piece of glass to try it on. I had a flat backed glass pebble and the glass top of a tiny container. I’m guessing I should have used a piece of glass that I could easily rub the iron across. The glass lid had a metal lip so I had to use the tip of the iron to press on the glass so I only got a streaky transfer. I suppose if I had had more patience, I could have gotten more of the image to transfer.
The pebble back was flat but it wasn’t easy to run the iron over without it wobbling around. I got a smooshed image and none of it transferred to the glass.

You’ll be sure to have some fun with TAP transfers on fabric and other surfaces. Just be sure to test your TAP techniques first before using it for an important project.

I’m thinking I’d like to use it for the Sketchbook Project sketchbook that Mom and I are working on (assuming I get around to working on it again before the deadline).

PS. The ceiling photo is the Tudor Rose at Hampton Court.
Thanks to a dear England trip co-traveler for remembering!

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have some TAP that I need to get out and work with.

Sandy's ponderings said...

I can't get mine to transfer at all and I am at a loss. can't seem to get an answer as to why?

Sandra said...

I just tried two transfer sheets, one pigment ink the other dye ink. Both to fine cotton knit, ironed very thoroughly with a flat board under the fabric. Neither transferred very well. I washed one too soon, and now it is really distressed looking! The other is just transferred is a mess, more ironing does not seem to help!

Anonymous said...

does the fabric feel soft after the tranfer?

Sonja said...

The transfers that I've done on fabric come out feeling stiff and a little plastic-y.

Anonymous said...

I used TAP paper and got the best result of any heat transfer ever! The first try didn't turn out well because I applied it the way I did a previous transfer. TAP apparently requires continuous ironing all over the paper in no clear order other than ensuring you move the iron continuously all over. I was more pleased that I could iron over the image on the shirt after wearing and washing without the image sticking to the iron. I had a great experience with it.

Sonja said...

TAP is the best product I've come across for putting a transfer of an image on fabric. I'd just rather print right on the fabric like with Bubble Jet Set treated fabrics and not have the feel of the fabric change at all.

Anonymous said...

This TAP may work well on fabric, but I have had NO success in trying to print a positive on to the back of a sheet of glass. The glass holds the heat, and all the substrate just "goos" together.