Monday, October 04, 2010

Antje Duvekot in Lowell!

I'm definitely bragging today. Antje Duvekot came to Lowell on Friday for the "Lowell Celebrates Kerouac" festival and performed right in front of the kimono Mom and I created! Dave Robinson, Urban Village Arts event organizer introduced Antje and spoke about our kimono. People clapped for us. It was incredible. Antje liked it, too! It was cool to hear more about the song that we used as inspiration for the kimono design: Antje had taken a road trip cross-country Kerouac-style in a car that had a Kerouac quote painted on it.

Having the kimono for the Kerouac festival performance was totally serendipitous. I happened to be on Antje's website and see that she'd be in Lowell for "Lowell Celebrates Kerouac." The song that we used as inspiration mentions Kerouac: "yes it's a long way on the worn out heels of Kerouac." It just seemed too perfect. I contacted the Kerouac festival organizers to see if they'd be interested to have the kimono as a backdrop for Antje's and other poets' performance.

I'd been to a Kiva house concert with Antje and given her photos of the kimono. She was interested enough to want to see it in person... and the rest is history, sort of anyway. Here's the proof:

I'm not a silly little Antje Duvekot groupy, am I?!

My other exciting news is that I sold a newer piece at Saturday open studios at Western Avenue Studios and there is interest in buying my college senior art project, "Forever & Ever." This is the biggest piece I've ever done. It has six panels that are an abstracted version of Halibut Point, Massachusetts. This photo doesn't show the borders, but you get a sense of the continuous landscape image I was going for.The initial concept was for these pieces to be hung in the round to show a continuous landscape as in what it would look like if you stood in one place and spun all the way around.

This one is a detail of one of the panels that shows the abstraction of the quarry-like hill, the ocean and the rocky water's edge.
Below is the piece that sold this weekend. I was having fun naming it and called it "Turgid Blue." I think I found the word turgid in the thesaurus. The base (blue part) of it is made out of a book that has been deconstructed a la Maggie Grey catalogue killing style. I had trouble "destroying" a book to begin with, but this was an extremely dull children's book to begin with so I didn't feel too bad. It did turn out rather cool. I am definitely going to play more with Maggie Grey's distressing technique when I get around to it.Photograph by Daniel Coury

No comments: