Friday, July 23, 2010

Ode to Ole

Ole, the Friends Fabric Art store dog aka my Lhasa Apso, is no longer with us. He made lots of wonderful friends at our 177 Merrimack St. shop location and later at our Western Avenue Studios location. He was getting sicker and we could find no way to make him feel better. I got him at our local shelter and here he is shortly after I took him home, a little scraggly, but darn cute.

Over the years Ole was captured in art a number of times. This is a piece I started about Ole in a workshop with Susan Shie (Lucky) at our old location. I think we were tempted at one point to actually have him make real paw prints with paint. We managed to resist temptation. It is rather amazing in some ways that he never really got much paint on him for all the time he spent at the studio. I don't know how many times he decided to sit down under a dripping recently dyed t-shirt or piece of fabric hanging on the clothesline to dry and Mom and I managed to get him to move before the dye dripped on him.

This is a study in batik that I did. I wasn't really happy with the black bleeding in it at the time so it's been sitting in a bin of fabric. I may have to do something with it now.Here is Ole captured beautifully in pastel by Roland Cosby. Roland did portraits of Ole and of my parents' dog, Jacques. You can see Jacques portrait also on Roland's website Animal Portrait page. Jacques is the first white dog as you scroll down. Be sure to check out Roland's Birds gallery, too. (artwork reproduced by permission of the artist)Nick and I took Ole along with us to a Painless Portrait session at Western Avenue Studios given by fabulous photographer Meghan Moore to get our engagement photo. Meghan did our wedding photos too. There are some garden photos taken during our wedding on her website: http://megpix.smugmug.com/Weddings/Sonja-Nick
Meghan also did this wonderful photo of Ole in the same photo shoot. It is an incredible photo because she captured him so quickly. He was really only on that stool for a few seconds before he decided to get down. (photographs reproduced by permission of the artist)


And now for just some random Ole photos. Here he is helping me cart stuff to the studio in a shopping cart. It's haircut time for him in this pic.
Here are Ole and Nick keeping me company while I gallery sit for the Loading Dock Gallery. Ole was really very immersed in the arts.
This one is right when we moved into our new studio. Ole was always looking for a cozy cave-like spot to hide in. He looks more like he's in jail though than being cozy.
Another classic Ole at the studio pic, he's letting me be silly with him by making him dance. He never minded.
Goodbye Ole.

10 comments:

roz said...

It was an honor to know you little fellow!! We will always carry you in our hearts.

Aunt Roz, Uncle Sam & Bentley

Mom said...

Dearest Sonja and Nick,
What a beautiful tribute to Ole. I will always have wonderful memories of Ole. I loved the way he would run into our kitchen to get a treat, when you would arrive here for a visit. After getting the treat Ole would carry it around for hours before devouring it! So patient. So sweet. Goodbye Ole. I will miss you!
Love, Karen (Mom)

Anonymous said...

We loved you Ole. You gave so much to all of us. Our heart goes out to you, Nick and Sonja.

Jim (Dad)

Sue Bleiweiss said...

Sonja I am so sorry to hear this.

Meg Temple said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. He was a sweet, cute little friend. It is clear from your post and your photos that he was a much loved dog and lived a very good life.

Susan Shie said...

Hi Sonja. I am so sad to know that Ole's gone, but they don't live very long, and we are brave, who get dogs again! They bring us so much joy.

I found your ode to ole while I'm having Dog Fever. Our Hattie Spooler died almost 3 years ago, and I thought we'd be safe and not get another dog. We don't have a housemate anymore, so it's harder to have a dog, when we go so much.

Anyhow, Hattie was a labrador. So were our 2 dogs before her. I loved Ole, so maybe I'll check out his breed!

thanks so much for this lovely story, even tho it's so sad. I'll follow your blog now. Yea! Love, Susan

Susan Shie said...

Hi Sonja. I am so sad to know that Ole's gone, but they don't live very long, and we are brave, who get dogs again! They bring us so much joy.

I found your ode to ole while I'm having Dog Fever. Our Hattie Spooler died almost 3 years ago, and I thought we'd be safe and not get another dog. We don't have a housemate anymore, so it's harder to have a dog, when we go so much.

Anyhow, Hattie was a labrador. So were our 2 dogs before her. I loved Ole, so maybe I'll check out his breed!

thanks so much for this lovely story, even tho it's so sad. I'll follow your blog now. Yea! Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonja and Nick,

Ole was great. I loved seeing him and being around him whether he was with you at your studio or just out walking around. He is missed.

Love,
Paula K. (from CP II & now Boott Mills)

Liz @ Lush Beads said...

Oh gosh, I had no idea! I am sad... I adored Ole. My sympathies at your loss. I'm glad you have great memories of him.

Rayna said...

Oh, Sonja - Ole was such a sweet little doggie - and I wasn't allergic to him. I am so sad and my heart goes out to you and your mom because I know she loved him, too.
hugs,
Rayna