Saturday, March 06, 2010

Stitching

Last Saturday Mom and I went to see "Changing Landscapes: Contemporary Chinese Fiber Art" at the American Textile History Museum. The exhibit closes soon, but if you can get there, run, don't walk. The last day is March 14. We got to hear a lecture by one of the curators, Deborah Corsini about how the exhibit came about. The exhibit was created for the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles and it was inspired by the Lausanne to Beijing International Fiber Art Biennale exhibitions (which I had never heard about before). The exhibit catalogue is still available, but it's nothing compared to seeing the exhibit in person.

My favorite pieces are completely machine stitched and they are huge for pieces that are completely machine stitched. My favorite is called "Aria of Spring" by Tian Wei-Ping. It features lotus pods. My other favorite by Wen Li-Hua is of butterflies in colors symbolizing the four seasons. It's called "Dance of Spring." All of the work is stunning though.

Mom has been busy with stitching on our kimono. Below is a detail showing a photo that I took on a road trip somewhere between Great Falls, Montana and Seattle, Washington. I should have taken notes about the places I took photos. I suppose I could figure out where it is if I looked at a map.
This one shows some more of the lines created by stitching on the Stef Francis 5400 Rayon threads. On the bottom right is a glacier photo that I took on a cruise to Alaska when we were in Glacier Bay.

No comments: