Thursday, April 26, 2007

Duppioni Bridesmaids' Dresses

Mom has speedily put together the first of my bridesmaids' dresses. It only needs to be hemmed. I only stitched the middle part at the waist. This one is for my maid of honor, Jenn. It's made out of duppioni silk like my wedding dress. Some of the fabrics are "shot silk" which I learned is the word for silk that shimmers with two different colors from the warp and weft being different colors. The top on this dress is yellow &/or rose depending on the lighting.
Here's the stitching on the waist picture. I machine zig-zag stitched over Stef Francis hand-dyed thick rayon threads. On my practice piece of fabric I played with using some of the fancy machine stitches instead of zig-zag, but I liked how the zig-zag stitch best for the dress. Some of the stitches made the threads separate out in a cool way that would be a fun technique to play with on another project.
On another note, I captured the digger of the big hole near the Western Ave Studios building on camera today. Looks like a woodchuck. I had Ole with me and he didn't even bark at it. The woodchuck kept looking back at me while I took its picture. I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a more vicious animal residing in the hole.

2 comments:

Sandra Eileen - Artisan Jewelry For Your Good Life said...

such a beautiful dress, love the colors, found your blog, via Mill Girl's post today. :)

maia (glassbeach) said...

You have a lucky maid of honor! It's a lovely dress and I especially love how the bias cut adds another subtle texture to the dress. (I'm here by way of Mill Girl, too!)